Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Running Water

A couple of weeks ago, we traveled to NJ to visit my family.  We arrived on Friday evening June 29th... the next morning was our scheduled 8 Mile Run.   During the night we had a massive Thunder/Rain/Wind Storm.  It was reported that winds were higher than that of Hurricane Irene that struck the area last year.  During the night the electricity kept flickering, I know this because my phone was plugged in next to the bed and kept making noises!  However, when the alarm went off for us to get up and run everything seemed fine... then the power went. Nothing.  Jeff and I went out for our run and when we returned there was still no electricity... in fact, there was no electricity for 4 days!  It did not return at my parents house until Tuesday evening.   However, where they live, everyone has well water, which needs a pump, which needs electricity... so no electricity means no running water. 

I can not even begin to explain what an eye opening experience this was.  I have no doubt that it was something that God wanted me to experience.  So we had no running water to drink, to brush our teeth, to flush our toilets.  Every time you had to use the bathroom we had jugs of water (that we got from family members who had water) that we had to put in the toilet to flush it.  We had to go to the Acme and buy bottled water and bags of ice - can you imagine!!! I mean we had to get in the car, drive 10 minutes to the store, and buy water and ice because we were unable to turn one of the multiple faucets in our house on to get it!!!! People... do you hear this?  Do you hear this???

What was an inconvenience for me, my family and most of the surrounding area was just that an INCONVENIENCE!  There are people living on this earth, God's children, that do not have clean water to drink!! We can do something about this!!  I am running for water!!!  I am training to run a marathon, to help raise money to fund water wells in Zambia, Africa.  Will you PLEASE, PLEASE support me.  I am a little over half way to my goal.  I can not reach it without your support!

To those of you that have made a donation to Team World Vision in support of me - THANK YOU!! Your support means so much to me and helps me to keep going! If you have not yet made a donation, I ask that you would please consider making a tax-deductible donation to help build water wells in Zambia, Africa!! It would mean so much to me! Here is the link where you can donate online http://support.worldvision.org/goto/heathergerwing

No comments:

Post a Comment